OMAHA, Neb. —
A Snapchat video of a mouse dumped in the trash is being shared on social media Tuesday by Burke High students, saying mice are common at the school.
“I saw one alive just last Thursday after school, he was running under the fridge, trying to hide,” said a student who asked to remain anonymous. “And then I’ve seen dead ones in like, April and May.”
The student said mice and their droppings are seen in the ceiling, library, gym and especially the culinary classroom.
“Staff is really disgusted because when you’re in a culinary class, you learn all about sanitation and they’re all disgusted and they’re trying their best on what they can do and using their own-out-of pocket money to pay for traps,” said the anonymous student.
Other students shared photos of mice droppings near cooking ingredients and several mouse traps being used in classrooms.
In a statement, Omaha Public Schools responded to KETV NewsWatch 7:
“The high school is currently undergoing renovation work; construction projects can sometimes draw pests into building structures, particularly during the winter months. We are actively using pest control services to manage the challenge as quickly as possible.”
The district also provided these details:
In October, a teacher shared that she had spotted a mouse inside her classroom.
We have received approximately three reports since that time, and have been actively working to ensure pests are not inside the building (e.g., additional, expanded sanitation efforts, requiring students to keep food items inside the cafeteria only, etc.)
The school receives regular inspections by the health department. The most recent inspection took place in October.
The Douglas County Health Department told KETV NewsWatch 7 it inspected the school cafeteria in October and didn’t see any issues. The department also said it’s not standard to inspect beyond the cafeteria, but since a parent called and complained Tuesday, an inspector will check into reports of mice.
Meanwhile, some parents are looking for answers.
“We’re coming up on Christmas break, there’s a few weeks, why can’t we get rid of the problem then?” asked a mother who asked to remain anonymous.
“Why hasn’t there been a memo or something issued in regards to this?” asked Diane Robson, whose son is a Burke High student. “That would be good if they did it over break so that the toxins aren’t still in the school hopefully when they come back. I think there should be a full inspection of the school.”